The City of Hadera - a snapshot
Origin of the name Hadera: al hudra, Arabic for "the green place"
Location: Between Haifa and Tel Aviv on the Mediterranean coast
Population: 86,000 of whom 35% are immigrants from the former USSR, the Caucasus Mountains, and Ethiopia
Municipal Area: 53,000 acres - the fourth largest city in Israel
60% green open areas
40% built-up and industrial areas
8.5km of some of Israel's most beautiful coastline
THE HISTORY OF HADERA
The history of Hadera's Jewish settlers is a reflection of the history of Jewish settlement in Israel. Hadera was established in 1891 at the same time as Rosh Pinna and Rehovot, during the time of Ottoman rule. With support from Baron Edmond de Rothschild, the first settlers purchased land from the Turks. For more than three decades, the settlers battled to dry the swamps that covered most of the area, and even though half the settlers died from malaria, they never gave up on their land.
Many significant personalities of early Jewish settlement came from Hadera, including Yehoshua Hankin, and the Benkin and Feinberg families who took part in the Nili Movement, keeping in contact with the movement leaders in Zichron Yaakov.
Hadera achieved city status in 1952
During the 1950s and 1960s Hadera absorbed a large wave of immigrants, and between 1991 and 2002 the city doubled its population with waves of immigrants from the former USSR, the Caucasus Mountains and Ethiopia. Today, Hadera is home to many immigrants from all around the globe. The challenges of immigrant absorption and a rapid increase in population require a coordinated response from the city and its professional teams in the areas of welfare, health, and community services.